1.20.2010

way to go- Idaho

Thursday, January 7, my dad and I were ready to hit the road and head to a little town called Shoshone, Idaho. If you aren't familiar with Shoshone, Idaho and are wondering where it is then this map should help. If you are wondering what it looks like IRL then here is a photo I took on our way into town.






Needless to say it was a long, flat trip. Luckily I had my dad with me and we had a great time. We stayed in a funny bed & breakfast that didn't serve breakfast but we had our own T.V. and a shared bathroom. We actually were there with Dale Peel and another gentleman from the meeting, Mark Reynolds. It was a great turn out of about 15 people and we discussed many important things such as animal nutrition and farming. We had speakers from U.S sheep Experiment Station from Dudois, Idaho and learned a ton. Did you know that one pound of cow's milk sells for $.09 ($.75 a gallon) and one pound of sheep's milk sells for $1.00 ($8.70 a gallon)? Sheep also love to eat sugar beets and beer brewers leftovers. Dad and I felt overwhelmed but I was very happy to meet people from the west, everyone may be at different stages but it's comforting being with folks who have the same interest and end goal. Scott Carlisle owns a trout resort in Wyoming and he is currently making sheep's milk cheese and brought some Alpine (type of swiss) for us to try, it was AMAZING! Even dad was surprised at how good it tasted. I asked Scott what it was called and he replied "I don't know yet." This is the part I am most excited for; making up cheeses and getting to name them.
Well we were back on the road by 3:30 and the trip home was much shorter. Dad and I had a great time talking and reminiscing about times past, our families and dreams for the future. He has been a great resource since he knows so many people in Sanpete. He got us in contact with Dale and Lamar so we owe my dad BIG props! He's so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment