11.10.2010

livin' the farm life- sheep trailing

I was informed that the yearly sheep trailing was happening at the end of September. I waited patiently for 2 hours and then spotted the dust. I was very excited to see this happen. Sheep trailing is when the herders collect the sheep that have been free grazing high up in the mountains all summer long. They gather them together and start sending them down the trail. A dog will lead the way while the herders stay behind and make sure the sheep stay together. They kind of got spooked when they saw me photographing them so I had to jump out of the way so they would keep going down the street. I couldn't let my kids miss such a neat first experience so I pulled them out of school early and had them wait for something coming down the road. Rocket said, "What is that? Are those... SHEEP!?" They loved it as they walked by within feet of us. It was so fun! What a great experince. Can't wait for the rest of the family to be here and experience all these fun new things with us.

3 comments:

  1. that is way cool! thanks for posting. miss you like crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing that when we were younger in good old Mt. Pleasant. I had forgotten it til now. I don't think I have the chance to pull my kids out of school for anything like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you take the best pictures!What fun!!

    ReplyDelete